Saturday, January 7

One week into the new year...

I've got a couple of things I want to share with you, but I'm not sure where to start.
Last week, I got together with the 2nd most influential woman in my life: My Other (Step) Mom. It'd been at least a couple of years since we'd seen each other, though there were a few emails and phone calls between us.
See, we each live on opposite ends of a metropolis, and it's just tricky to get away for the time it takes, and the gas it requires, etc etc etc. Blah blah. Ok, well, regardless of whatever the real-or-imagined reasons, we hadn't set down to chat for a long time. It was very nice. My Other Mom is a charming and warm woman, and for the most part she always has been. (I have to take some credit for the turbulent teen years, right?) Ok, we both survived. Can't ask for more than that.
So, The Big Guy and I got to hang out with my Other Mom for a couple of hours, during which I spilled the top off of my YUMMY whipped cream-topped-vanilla-coffee thingy and only ate part of it from off the table. (Sometimes I still do things to see if there is a reaction. LOL But I'm much better than I used to be.) We chatted about...Well, I'm sure it was important things, but I can't really recall. That's just about how I roll, though. I remember the feelings, and they were warm and loving. I appreciated that the Big Guy went to the boy's room at one point, giving OM the opportunity to lean in & tell me that she, too, saw what a great person he is, and how much he cares for me (usually in the past, I'd tended to be the "caring" part of the relationship. Thank God that's over!!) And I'm sure I blushed, b/c I still can't get over the MIRACLE that is this marriage.
Really, 2 recovering alkie/druggies, really in love AND friends with each other like this?? "Oh, Hell to the No." to quote a friend.
So, we're going to plan on getting together once a month, now, since we're both ridiculously busy-well, I'm gonna have to go with unorganised for me, but she can be "busy"- and it's not everyone who has a person in their life who encourages and loves them the way my OM does me.
It was very good to see that familiar smile and hear her distinct laugh. (Don't go getting all self-conscious, now, OM!!) LOL
I trust that you, dear reader, are having a satisfying and productive 2012, so far...?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what your thoughts are. The check's in the mail. ; )

Archives